Not only does it tone your body, it strengthens your muscles, keeps your bones strong, and improves your skin, increases relaxation, improves sleep, and mood, immune function, and more.
Muscle mass is metabolically active tissue. In other words, the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn even when you’re not working out. Studies estimate that for each pound of muscle you add to your body, you will burn an additional 35-50 calories per day.
The neat thing about exercise is you don’t have to do it all at one time. You can do short bursts throughout your day. Here’s an idea of how to work exercise into your daily routine:
- Schedule physical activity into your calendar like you would any other appointment,
- Exercise first thing in the morning so you get it done
- Park your car farther away from the shopping center.
- Take a “walk break” whenever you can find the time during the day. Taking short 10 minute walks a few times a day will do wonders for your metabolism!
- Play with your pets! A great activity for everyone.
- Choose the stairs over the elevator.
- Replace your office chair with an exercise ball that makes you move more.
- Buy a jump rope or mini trampoline and have “mini workouts” throughout the day
- Go for a walk after dinner
- When vacuuming try to use your arm, back and abdominal muscles to push the vacuum.