[youtube_sc url=”http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F9MZlQ0-oE”]”The second brain contains some 100 million neurons, more than in either the spinal cord or the peripheral nervous system”, says Michael Gershon, M.D. an expert in the field of neurogastroenterology and author of the 1998 book The Second Brain(HarperCollins).
The mind in the gut is called the enteric nervous systemand uses more than 30 neurotransmitters, just like the brain, and in fact Gershon explains in his book that more than 80 percent of the body’s serotonin is found in the gut. Because antidepressant medications called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) increase serotonin levels, these medications can provoke GI issues as a side effect. Irritable bowel syndrome—which afflicts more than two million Americans—arises in part from a serotonin imbalance in the gut and could perhaps be regarded as a “mental illness” of the second brain.
I recommend 7 Principles to keep your gut healthy
1. Take a probiotic – for easy ordering send email to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Drink lots of water and keep well hydrated
3. Minimize processed and refined foods
4. Eat lots of vegetables and high fiber foods
5. Practice stress management techniques
6. Sleep well!
7. Take a multi-antioxidant -for easy ordering send email to email@example.com