Deskercises are great ways to keep moving while at a desk. If you are anything like me you work at a computer for a lot of your day. Humans were not meant to sit at a desk all day, hunched over a keyboard, staring at a computer screen.Hours sitting there you feel cramped. I sometimes sit for hours and just need a change. That change is Deskercise!
Here are some great Desk Exercises you can do, right at your desk.
Lower Back Desk Exercise
A sore lower back is a very common problem for desk jockeys. It can be difficult to practice good posture for long hours. This leads to some relaxed slouching, which inevitably causes lower back and neck pain. You can do a simple stretch to help alleviate this discomfort. You can do this stretch either sitting in a chair or standing up:
1. Place your hands, palms down, on your lower back.
2. Point your fingers down and lean back.
3. Push your breastbone up towards the sky, keeping your elbows pointing straight back.
4. Hold for 15 seconds then relax.
5. Repeat the above steps twice.
This stretch will help you relieve the tension that builds up in your lower back. To avoid injury, remember not to bounce or jerk your muscles while exercising or stretching your back.
Calf Stretch and Quadriceps Desk Exercise
This exercise will help relieve the tired and lethargic feeling that invades your leg muscles due to inactivity. It will assist in eliminating leg cramps and muscle spasms. In addition, the quadriceps exercise will actually strengthen the muscle itself through an isolated isometric flex at the top
Before attempting this exercise, ensure that you have enough space to fully extend your legs. Do the following exercise with your back straight and your feet planted flat on the floor in front of you.
1. Place your hands flat on top of your right leg.
2. Lift your right leg from your hip flexor and fully extend it straight from the knee.
3. With your leg fully extended flex your upper leg muscle and hold for 10 seconds.
4. Lower your right leg slowly, once again placing your foot flat on the floor.
5. Repeat exercise with the left leg.
6. Repeat the above steps twice.
You can also stretch out both legs under the desk for a minute. This exercise will enhance the blood flow to your legs and alleviate muscle cramps. While doing the above exercise you should feel a solid stretch in your calf muscle and a firm tightening of the upper leg quadriceps.
For more Information go to www.drkarenwolfe.org
RESOURCE – Is Your Lifestyle Killing You by Dr Karen Wolfe